Unmarried Couple Separation Agreement

Posted on 19. Dec, 2020 by in Uncategorized

You can use a separation agreement as an alternative or foreshadowing of a divorce, either because you do not want a divorce or because you do not yet have the opportunity to initiate legal proceedings. In England and Wales, you must be married for at least one year before you can file for divorce. After this period, you must prove at least one of the following reasons for the divorce. In the absence of a written agreement, you will have to go to court if there is a disagreement. In such cases, the judge will decide the case for you, bearing in mind the best interests of the child. You two have responsibility in such cases, so if you decide to break, it is important that you come to a quick agreement on how these are paid to avoid a default on debts. Without this formal agreement, your partner could continue to find debts for which you are collectively responsible. If you need more advice on the rights of unmarried couples, please contact us to speak to one of our experts. Call us on 0345 604 4911 or contact us online and we will contact you as soon as possible. Our private law service assists unmarried couples through advice and actions. The law on the sharing of capital for unmarried couples is totally different from the nature of the injunctions that can be taken in the event of the dissolution of a marriage or a life partnership. There is a misunderstanding about the “common law spouse.” Parties that have lived together for a long time believe that after the breakdown of their relationship, they have the same legal rights as a married couple.

That is not the case. So if you`re not married and you`re separating from a long-term partner, think about these common problems: unmarried couples in long-term relationships probably have many of the same dreams, goals and common things as married couples, but remain without the same legal protection when they separate. Separation from an unmarried couple raises many of the same problems that spouses face in the event of divorce and, in some cases, can be even more complicated. While an agreement between you and your former partner is the best bet, a partition procedure is possible if you do not reach a fair agreement. To do so, you must sue your former partner and hold a hearing before a judge who will decide how the property should be distributed on the basis of the facts of the case. Unmarried couples can also find a separation agreement as a useful means of dealing with the issue of the distribution of assets and responsibilities held together. For example, a couple living together may want to formally agree on how the remaining rent due to a temporary rent can be distributed.

Comments are closed.